Tuesday, May 29, 2012

House Finch

The House Finch is supposed to be a very common bird around America now, but I can't remember seeing one before. "What is that, a red sparrow?", I thought to myself.





Other beesness:





Forest Bathing:
In Japan, they call it shinrin-yoku – literally, “forest bathing.” Here, we might just call it a walk in the park. Either way, people around the world have an intuitive sense of the restorative power of natural environments. The question is: Why?

Scientists have advanced a wide range of theories about the specific physical and mental benefits nature can provide, ranging from clean air and lack of noise pollution to the apparent immune-boosting effects of a fine mist of “wood essential oils.” But the most powerful benefits, a new study suggests, may result from the way trees and birds and sunsets gently tug – but never grab – at our attention.

Pictures of the American West:
An earlier visitor: Nearly 150 years ago, photographer O'Sullivan came across this evidence of a visitor to the West that preceded his own expedition by another 150 years - A Spanish inscription from 1726. This close-up view of the inscription carved in the sandstone at Inscription Rock (El Morro National Monument), New Mexico reads, in English: "By this place passed Ensign Don Joseph de Payba Basconzelos, in the year in which he held the Council of the Kingdom at his expense, on the 18th of February, in the year 1726."



El Morro is truly in the middle of nowhere, but I've been there.
~

20 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've got a bazillion house finches in my yard, thundra. I'll loan you some. :)

Also, I took a lervely forest bath just yesterday, but it was really windy, so you could see the soaring pine trees swaying... and you could hear them creaking. Fortunately, none went snay-ap!

Jennifer said...

And yes, that does look like a sow thistle. I see 100 right outside my window! Our neighbor LUVS them! :)

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Your neighbor is a thistle farmer?

P.S. Is that wind associated with cooler and dryer weather? It's changing here...Tonight we'll get down to 59, and tomorrow night the low will be 54. I can stop using the a.c. so much.
~

Jennifer said...

Wind brings in any change... could go either way. It was insane though, wasn't it?? Last night's low was in the mid 60's, tonight, a predicted 47.

We are the inadvertant thistle farmers... we had that side of the yard regraded. Which only helped spread the damn stuff (no doubt from bird seed etc). Our grass is not established enough to actually attack the thistles. Grizzled and I also aren't that worried about having other green things in the yard so we hate to poison it within an inch of its life, like everyone else around here, but a little poison will be needed this time... after the grass is strong enough. In the meantime, the neighbors glare... and wonder why all of the birds come to our yard.

Jennifer said...

Oops. That put an e where that inadvertent a is up there...

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Ha! I'd rather have the birds, even if it cost a few thistles.

;-)

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

The first picture is straight up hilarious. Whoooooooooooa, easy, fella!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

The bird didn't seem to mind that the thistle was almost bent to the ground a bit. It was only when I got too close with the camera that he flew off.
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

House finch? How could anyone live inside that tiny thing?

Our neighbor LUVS them! :)

Does the neighbor cook them?

Jennifer said...

No, the neighbor poisons them. I was being facetious... the neighbor stares at ours and grimaces. I wish B^4 could visit weekly to forage. We're a veritable farmer's market edible weeds!

Glennis said...

We get house finches here in Topanga, and purple finches, too sometimes. They really are so pretty.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I don't think I've ever seen a purple finch, either. But I'd like to!

P.S. For some reason, you don't get a large view of these pictures when you open them in a new tab. I wonder if it has something to do with linking the one from the Daily Mail by url?
~

Smut Clyde said...

Blooger has shrunk all your pictures to 400-px wide -- unless you cropped them like that yourself.

Flower fly is in mint condition.

the way trees and birds and sunsets gently tug – but never grab – at our attention.
SKWIRL!!!

Laura said...

Hmmm.. I'm not sure if I've seen a House Finch before. I think so...
Great pictures. Especially of my Bees!!!!!

((Hugs))
Laura

Substance McGravitas said...

The only Finch that matters.

M. Bouffant said...

What, no love for Atticus?

I go forest-bathing whenever the streams are flowing.

Hamish Mack said...

A good friend of mine studied the feathery things ("birds" I think he called them) and said that are two types, budgerigars and finches. Of course in New Zild they are called "Funches" because that's the way God wants it.

Hamish Mack said...

Also the finches have sold out, man!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

S.C., it's something Blooger is doing. I'm pretty certain that it's the result of using a url to link the picture of El Morro. That pic was too big in preview, so I re-sized it to be 400 px wide.

As a result, my other pictures don't get any bigger when you open them in another tab. I just tried fixing it, but no pair of dice.

P.S. Laura, the bee fly is very proud that you bought his or her disguise.

;-)

Randal Graves said...

Forest bathing ist krieg.