Saturday, August 27, 2016

W and OD Trail Critters

My contribution to Eileeninmd's Saturday's Critters #141. These wasps are often on the goldenrod, I think they're mason wasps.

Got one on a thistle.

Tiger Swallowtails like the thistles (and teasels):

One of my favorite moths, the Snowberry Clearwing:

Here's a young buck that didn't seem very concerned with my photography:

Or video:

I'm also linking to Anni's I'd Rather B Birdin'.
Here's a lady Goldfinch, something on the ground there distracted her long enough for me to get a pic.

I hope to add more birdie pics in an update. But right now I have to motor.

UPDATE: These berry shrubs have been full of mockingbirds and catbirds for the last week. I've been trying to get some sharp pics, but they see my camera and hop into the shadows. The plant is American Pokeweed. It is poisonous to mammals but not birds.

Mouse over pics for captions, and click them for larger versions.
~

20 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Wonderful variety of insects, butterfly and birds. The Clearwing is an awesome sighting, Great photos! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

Lea said...

Great series of photos!
Love the deer
Have a wonderful week-end!

Rajesh said...

Great shots of the wasps and butterflies.

TexWisGirl said...

wow, that clearwing is neat! a type i hadn't seen before.

Christine said...

Now that looks like a pretty! vicious wasp! The thistles seem to have done well this year!

Hootin Anni said...

I've never seen a clearwing before....they're pretty. I can see why it's a favorite.

DeniseinVA said...

I love these photos. I saw a wasp like that and wondered what it was. Loved your moth shot particularly but all are very enjoyable.

Linda said...

Nice pics of the flying critters and Bambi too!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

oh, some lovely shots. I love flutterbys. That black wasp is so cool. Don't think I've ever seen one before. So Thanks :)

Breathtaking said...

Hello!:) Great image of the Snowberry Clearwing, what a great shot of a moth I did not know. I love the deers and butterfly captures.:)

Anni said...

Thank you, kindly, for stopping by I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend to add this post to the linking tool. It's always appreciated by us birders and nature lovers!!

It continues to astound me that for mammals some plants are poisonous while birds can consume them without any ill effects.

Anonymous said...

Such a wide variety...bugs, critters, birds...you did it all in this collection of great shots!...:)JP

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely photos, impressive wasp and the clearwing is an amazing looking moth!

Nancy Chan said...

Wonderful collection of lovely critters! Cute bambi! Have a great new week!

Weekend-Windup said...

Beautiful flowers.

Unknown said...

Beautiful captures! Have a wonderful week.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Pokeweed is poisonous, but it is still used as a food by poor southerners (it is boiled at least three times to curb the toxicity). It just goes to show you how desperately poor people who eat it are.

There's a really great song about pokeweed consumption called Poke Salad Annie.

Phil Slade said...

Im simply amazed by the Snowberry Clearwing. it's beautiful. No wonder it is one of your favourites.

Jim H. said...

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

M. Bouffant said...

These wasps are often on the goldenrod

Nice. Very 18th, 19th century-ish.