Thursday, June 28, 2012

Welcome, Summer!

Carmi's Thematic Photographic 201 is Welcome Summer






Although rather short-lived (10 to 20 years), Mimosa is popular for use as a terrace or patio tree for its light, dappled shade and tropical effect. Its deciduous nature allows the warming sun to penetrate during the winter. There are too many other high-quality trees in this cruel world to warrant planting this tree.

So mean! Doesn't it look pretty?



Trumpet Creeper, Campsis radicans

Great Spangled Fritillary, Speyeria cybele

Bull thistle, Cirsium vulgare

These pics below are from the Cacapon Resort State Park on Monday. It was cool and dry, there was a nice breeze to keep the gnats at bay, and few other people were on the course. Almost Heaven!

Cacapon Resort State Park G.C. 1

Cacapon Resort State Park G.C. 2

Cacapon Resort State Park G.C. 3

Cacapon Resort State Park G.C. 4



Finally, the bear necessities. What, you don't see him? He was RIGHT THERE!



Mouse over pics for captions, and click them for larger versions.
~

12 comments:

Randal Graves said...

Golf is the 100° n' humid of the gaming world.

Jennifer said...

What are the berries that the ole Trumpet Creeper are creeping upon??

We had triple digits yesterday, along with a blast furnace wind. Whatever was going on, it made for a glorious sunset. I wish I had had a camera, other than my cell phone, with me.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

R.G., back when the family used to vacation on Jekyll Island, Georgia, in August, my siblings and I tried to play all three 18 hole courses in one day. I'm pretty sure we made it through 45 of the 54, at least. It was over 100 and very humid.

Jennifer, I'm not sure what they are. They're all around the lake and the fish ponds.
~

mikey said...

"Welcome Summer"

Can we get all the Whos down in Whoville to sing a song now?

mikey said...

Hmmm.

Disappointing to discover that there is no WikiWacky page for "Dahu Doray"...

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I was gonna suggest that R.G. could find you an appropriate version on youtube, mikey, but I looked it up meself.
~

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

Welcome summer, now go away!

I love mimosas- the leaves have are wonderfully mobile, they close up when you brush your finger along them.

cactus petunia said...

Happy summer!

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

The butterfly photo is NatGeo-worthy. Truly stunning.

blue girl said...

I love mimosas, too. And thunder, that butterfly shot is fab!

Also: You missed a massive thunderstorm here yesterday. It was scary, Auntie Em. One of my favorite trees by the porch got whacked.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I didn't miss it...we still have no power at the house. (Typing this from my sister's house).
~

Max Sartin said...

Nice pictures - so green!