Saturday, August 28, 2010

15 Cents worth of Sorosbucks™



Notice that the leaves of the Lantana resemble the leaves of this plant. Nicotiana, Lantana, and Datura are all members of the Solanaceae (Nightshade) family. One of these three (Nicotiana, Lantana, and Datura) is not a member of the Solanaceae (Nightshade) family.

I'm sure that the butterfly in the background is a skipper, perhaps a Persius Duskywing or a Dreamy Duskywing.

I'd love to tell Jennifer that it's a Grizzled Skipper, but Sadly, No!

P.S.


This picture was overexposed. In my defense, I was walking home from Giant Eggle and wasn't willing to take the time needed for photographic excellence. I will say these flowers were like Bumblebee crack...multiple bumblebees were roaming about on some of them. They were bumping shoulders (and such as) as if each blossom were a mosh pit. Furthermore, I'm trying to identify the flower, but I have to get my sorry behind to the workplace. (Yeah it's Saturday, and yes my life is pathetic. So I'm blegging here.)

UPDATE: Another picture of the Passiflora:


The decorative passion flowers have a unique flower structure, which in most cases requires a large bee to effectively pollinate.
~

10 comments:

Pinko Punko said...

I didn't realize the duskywings seemed to hold their wings differently than other skippers.

Smut Clyde said...

Passiflora edulis. I bet you knew that and you're checking who's paying attention.

Also,
Nicotiana, Lantana, and Datura are all members of the Solanaceae (Nightshade) family.

AHEM.
"Lantana is a genus of about 150 species of perennial flowering plants in the verbena family."

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Dangitall, Smut Clyde!

I remember seeing the Verbena family reference the last time I was looking up Lantana. Perhaps I associated them with Solanaceae because they were all in a list of plants dangerous for pets.

That flower may be a Passiflora incarnata, as the leaves seem broader.
~

Smut Clyde said...

A few varieties of Passiflora have been introduced to NZ but the edulis is the usual one, on account of it being, well, edible. There are a few cultivars, with the leaf-shape varying in shape.

You'll just have to go back and see whether the fruit darkens when it's ripe... and what it tastes like.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Maypop or Purple passionflower is native to the U.S. (North to Ohio!). The fruit is edible and should turn yellow/orange as it matures. I'll keep an eye on it...
~

Substance McGravitas said...

The decorative passion flowers have a unique flower structure, which in most cases requires a large bee to effectively pollinate.

It's not about size! IT'S NOT ABOUT SIZE!!!

Jennifer said...

I'd love to tell Jennifer that it's a Grizzled Skipper, but Sadly, No!

If it were a Grizzled Skipper, you'd have to explain it to me. Lovely photos, Thundra.

Glennis said...

I just encountered an incredible passionflower in bloom today myself. I better download those shots.

Litzz11@yahoo.com said...

I love Lantana. Didn't plant it this year and I should have, since it was so brutally hot ... it's the only thing I can get to thrive in some parts of my garden without blowing my retirement on the water bill.

Another Kiwi said...

I had a look at an orb site last week and it claims that orbs are messengers. Which must mean very bad messengers since we are not getting the message. Sort of an incoherent Lassie.
"What's that girl, someones in trouble, chasing their tail, rolling in shit and chasing postal workers?"